The Law on Higher Education and Science
I. The tasks of the University Council include:
- giving opinions on the draft strategy of the University;
- giving opinions on the draft Statute;
- monitoring the finances of the University;
- monitoring the management of the University;
- indicating candidates for the position of Rector after the Senate has given its opinion;
- issuing opinions on the report on the implementation of the University strategy;
- giving consent for the Rector to perform additional paid work;
- taking a decision on granting the Rector a task-based allowance under the rules referred to in Article 138 section 3 of the Act;
- performing other tasks specified in the Act and the Statutes.
II. As part of its finance-monitoring role, the University Council:
- gives its opinion on the substantive and financial schedule;
- approves the report on the implementation of the substantive and financial schedule;
- approves the accounts statement;
- selects an auditing firm to audit the financial statements of the University;
- agrees to perform a legal action in the scope of disposing of fixed assets of the University, within the meaning of accounting regulations, and to perform a legal action in the scope of handing these assets over to another entity for a period longer than 180 days in a calendar year, in cases where the market value of these assets or the market value of the subject of the legal action exceeds PLN 2,000,000.
III. As part of the performance of its tasks, the University Council may request access to the documents of the University.
IV. The University Council shall submit an annual activity report to the Senate.
V. The Chairperson of the University Council shall perform activities in the field of labour law with respect to the Rector, subject to the provisions of this Act.
The Statute of the University of Warsaw
Pursuant to § 28.3 of the Statute, the University Council may express opinions and formulate positions on its own initiative.
In the performance of the tasks described in § 28, sections 1, 2 and 3, the University Council shall have the right to obtain information from other bodies of the University, student and doctoral student self-government bodies and organisations operating at the University, as well as to request explanations from all members of the University community.